Are you studying in Hungary as an international student? Have you ever wondered if you could stay in Hungary after you graduate? Of course you can, if you find a job or start a business on your own. But how could you possibly do that while still studying hard and writing your thesis? The answer to this question is the new “study-to-work” residence permit.
Residence permit for fresh graduates
Regularly, you can get a residence permit if you are a student, you have a job, or you run a business on your own. However, a student visa is valid only until you graduate, and you can apply for a residence permit based on gainful activity only when that activity is already being performed.
Getting a job or starting a business right after you graduate is very difficult. To help foreign students bridge the gap between graduation from a Hungarian university and starting a gainful activity, there is a new type of residence permit available for fresh graduates. This “study-to-work” permit allows applicants to stay another 9 months in Hungary after graduation, which is plenty of time to find a job or start a business – at which point this interim permit can be changed to a residence permit based on gainful activity.
Who can apply for the “study-to-work” residence permit?
Every foreign student receiving a degree from a Hungarian university or college (or any other higher education institute) is eligible for the study-to-work visa but you must hand in your application no later than 15 days before your student residence permit expires.
For the application, you will need to verify that:
- you are either looking for a job or setting up a company (for this, we offer consultation);
- you have the funds to stay in Hungary, for example with a bank statement showing that you either have enough money or regularly receive money from abroad;
- you have a valid health insurance;
- you have accommodation;
- you have the means to leave the EU in case your permit is denied.
The authorities might ask for further documents. If your “study-to-work” residence permit is denied, you cannot stay in Hungary after you graduate, and will have to leave the country when your student visa expires. As a result, it is essential that you apply BEFORE your student permit expires.
Convert your student visa to a full residence permit
So, if you are a foreigner studying at a Hungarian university and want to stay in Hungary after you graduate, you just have to
- apply for a “study-to-work” residence permit for fresh graduates
- find a job or make preparations for starting a business – for which you have 9 months
- apply for a residence permit based on gainful activity (which is either your new employment or the operation of the company you start)
For more information click HERE!