Health insurance

First aid and emergency medical care are free for foreigners, in other cases you have to pay for the treatment. A full coverage general health insurance for Hungary is a prerequisite for registration at any faculty of the University of Pécs.


EU citizens are insured on the basis of the European Health Insurance Card when they are in another member state and are, from the point of view of social security, entitled to the same rights and have the same obligations as citizens of that given member state. The EU card only covers the 'medically necessary' services (e.g.: dialysis treatment, oxygen therapy), but does not authorize the use of deferred care.

Private medical insurance  

Although EU-students may be able to use their insurances in Hungary, a private medical insurance is recommended to international students. The University of Pécs can assist the students with the additional insurance. We usually offer the Generali-Providencia STUDIUM accident and health insurance with cost reimbursement. If someone gets this insurance, then this person will be eligible to other services of the entire clinic, as detailed in the contract. The contract details what services can be used - implant of dentures or a prosthesis are for example excluded. The amount of the insurance is currently about 70 000 HUF at an annual level. The English and German Student Service Offices of the Medical School can provide more information on the insurance.

For further information, please contact:

Mr. Tamás NÁDAI


Address: Pécs, Damjanich utca 30 (ground floor, room 007)

If you prefer to choose some other private medical insurance, you have to go to the chosen health insurance fund and make an agreement individually.



Hungarian Social Security Card

The second option is to have a Hungarian Social Security Card (TAJ kártya) and a Social Security Number (TAJ szám). With the "TAJ” health insurance ID, you are eligible to use the health services in Hungary. 


You have to apply for this yourself at the local National Health Insurance Fund (Országos Egészségbiztosítási Pénztár in Hungarian) at Nagy Lajos Király Street 3. Pécs, 7623. 

Applying in person, you need to bring your registration card, address card (lease agreement or dormitory contract), enrolment certificate, EU ID card or passport. The monthly contribution fee is 38,250 HUF (as of January 2017) for their first year of residence in Hungary.


If you are a student with a scholarship offered by the Minister of Education in Hungary (including Stipendium Hungaricum scholarship), you are eligible for health care services in Hungary and you will receive a "TAJ card" for free. 


If you aren’t an EU citizen and do not have a private medical insurance or a Hungarian Social Security Card, you have to pay for care in accordance with the reimbursement policy of the Clinical Centre.


The treatment of foreign students is as follows:

  • if the student is insured by one of the insurance companies the university has a contract with (Generali Providencia) all expenses are covered by the insurance company
  • if the student is insured by any other insurance companies not in contract with the university, the student needs to pay for the treatment on the spot according to the operative Code of Charges and Benefits of he UP. The student receives an ambulant card and a receipt/invoice and can get reimbursement from his/her own insurance company
  • if the student is not insured he/she needs to pay for the treatment on the spot according to the operative Code of Charges and Benefits of he UP. The student receives an ambulant card and a receipt/invoice. If any further examinations are required, or specialist treatment is needed those are accessible through primary care.


Where to go in case you need medical care?