Despite having Hungarian Forint as the national currency, there are a lot of places where they accept Euro as well. However, you may need an additional local bank account to manage your finances while staying in Pécs.
Banks offer Forint, Currency or combined bank accounts available to foreign citizens as well. Before starting the procedure, it is advisable to ask the chosen bank about the required documents needed. In general they ask for an ID card/driving licence/passport and a residence card. In most of the cases if you don’t have a residence card, the residence permit can substitute it, depending on the local policies of the financial institutions.
Some american banks have regulations that don’t allow the citizens of certain countries to open bank accounts by them due to embargo regulations of the United States. If you come from Iran, Mianmar (Burma), North Korea, Cuba, Sudan or Syria, it is better to contact the bank if you are eligible to open an account or you can choose from the several local institutions.
In the city centre, you can find a bank on every corner – here are a few of them with at central locations:
- UniCredit: 7621 Pécs, Rákóczi Street 58. (Árkád) Tel.: +36-30/325-32-00
- MKB: 7621 Pécs, Rákóczi Street 60. Tel.: +36-1/373-33-99
- MKB: 7622 Pécs, Bajcsy-Zsilinszky Street 11. Tel.: +36-1/373-33-99
- Erste: 7621 Pécs, Rákóczi Street 62-64. Tel.: +36-72/514-440
- Raiffeisen: 7621 Pécs, Irgalmasok Street 5. Tel.: +36-80/488-588
- CIB Bank: 7621 Pécs, Irgalmasok Street 3/1. Tel.: (+36 1) 4 242-242
- K&H: 7626 Pécs, Búza sqr. 6/a. Tel.: +36-72/507-700
- Dél TAKARÉK Szövetkezet: 7622 Pécs, Bajcsy-Zsilinszky Street 7. Tel.: +36-72/514-200
- OTP Bank: 7621 Pécs, Rákóczi Street 44. Tel.: +36-1/3666-388
- OTP Bank: 7621 Pécs, Rákóczi Street 1. Tel.: +36-1/3666-388