Residence Permit and Immigration-related duties

You will have to deal with immigration-related tasks during your studies in Hungary. In this article, we try to provide a brief overview of different cases. Immigration is a serious and important matter, and it is your responsibility to comply with the Hungarian regulations. 

  1. If you are an EU/EEA citizen, you can travel to Hungary freely, but you must obtain a registration certificate if you stay over 90 days. You can apply for the certificate online here.
  2. Suppose you are a third-country citizen (non EU/EEA), but you can travel to Hungary without a visa (e.g. Canadian, Korean, or Mexican). In that case, you must apply for a residence permit upon your arrival. You can either apply online here OR book an appointment at the regional Immigrations Office here (you need to register first).
  3. Suppose you are a third-country citizen and applied for a visa at a Hungarian Consulate. In this case, your residence permit will be issued automatically, and you can pick it up at the Central Registrar's Office. You will receive an e-mail notification when your residence permit has arrived. 

If any of your information, especially the contact details and home address has changed, your legal obligation is to report it immediately to the Immigration Office online through the Enter Hungary platform.  

You will probably need to renew your residence permit during your studies. Please note that you must apply for the renewal at least 30 days before expiration. You can apply for the renewal online through the Enter Hungary platform. 

Please note that the official Enter Hungary website is There is an agency using and domains. They are not the official authority, and they will charge you for their services.