1. Check in to your designated dormitory (or your rented flat) and sign your contract/lease agreement.
2. Register in our electronic study system (called Neptun) personally at your faculty’s registrar’s office. Please, remember to bring the original copy of your high school diploma/BA degree/MA degree as you will have to show these at the time of enrollment!
3. Visit the Immigrations Office to apply for your residence permit.
4. After you arrive, you will need to sign your student contract with the University of Pécs – further information will be provided to you later on.
5. Although a fully-comprehensive health insurance is part of your scholarship, it will only be valid after you receive your insurance card. This may take several weeks, therefore we highly recommend you to purchase a travel insurance for the first two months of your stay in order to have a full coverage until you receive your National Health Insurance Card.
6. Last, but not least, please read our SH Student Guide carefully and keep it with you at all times, it contains crucial information about your academic and administrative tasks ahead of you!
For your very first semester you need to personally visit your faculty’s registrar’s office and sign the matriculation form. Please, do not forget to take the original copy of your high school diploma/BA, BSc degree/MA, MSc degree.
After your matriculation (enrolment) please, make sure you update ALL of your personal data in Neptun, especially your name, exactly as it is written in your passport!
Faculty of Business and Economics
7622 Pécs, Rákóczi út 80.
Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology
7624 Pécs, Boszorkány út 2.
Faculty of Health Sciences
7621 Pécs, Vörösmarty Mihály utca 4.
Faculty of Humanities
7624 Pécs, Ifjúság útja 6. building D.
Faculty of Law
7622 Pécs, 48-as tér 1
Faculty of Music and Visual Arts
7630 Pécs, Zsolnay Vilmos u. 16.
Faculty of Medicine
7624 Pécs, Szigeti út 12.
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences
7624 Pécs, Szigeti út 12.
Faculty of Sciences
7624 Pécs, Ifjúság útja 6. building A.
Incoming Stipendium Hungaricum freshmen have the opportunity to choose a student mentor by registering on the SH Mentor Network's website: http://shmentor.hu
Should you have any problems, please find the contact details of the Stipendium Hungaricum Mentor Network’s team below:
National Union of Students
The Stipendium Hungaricum Office of the University of Pécs is situated at the Rector's Cabinet.
Addrress: H‐7622 Pécs, Vasvári Pál utca 4., 1st floor, Office 102.
Office hours for students:
Tuesdays: 13:00-15:00, Thursdays: 9:00-11:00
Address: 7623 Pécs, Csend utca 3.
Please, book an appointment and ask your student mentor to take you to the Directorate-General for Aliens Policing (immigration office) (Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox is recommended for better visualization on their website).
Please, take the following documents with you:
1.) Valid passport / national ID
2.) One passport-size photo
3.) Datasheet from their website (”Residence Permit for the Purpose of Studies” – filled out)
4.) Letter of Award (from Tempus Public Foundation)
5.) Student status certificate (from Registrar’s Office) and/or Letter of Admission (from your study programme)
6.) Dormitory contract OR (if you live in a rented flat) lease agreement + a copy of ownership certificate from landlord + accommodation report form
First, go to the ‘Government Office’ to fill out the application document.
Address: Szántó Kovács János u. 1.
Opening hours: Mon: 7:00-17:00, Tue: 8:00-12:00, Wed: 8:00-16:00, Thu: 8:00-18:00, Fri: 8:00-13:30), take passport and student status certificate with you!
1. Provide your personal data exactly as it is written in your passport! You will receive a paper there, please make sure that your data on the paper matches exactly with your data in Neptun (if your data is different in the system, please visit the Registrar’s Office at your faculty and ask them to update your personal data)! Fill in the ‘NEK’ number from this document to NEPTUN. What is the NEPTUN Unified Education System and how can I use it?
2. After 2 days you can go to the Central Registrar’s Office (KTI, address: Faculty of Law, Buliding Z, lower ground floor H‐7622 Pécs, 1-3. Dohány utca, opening hours: Monday – Thursday: 9:00-15:00, Friday: 9:00-17:00) to pick up your temporary student card (valid for 60 days only!).
3. After 4 weeks you you will receive a Neptun notification to pick up your permanent student card at Central Registrar’s Office (it has to be validated for every semester by a sticker at the Central Registrar’s Office – otherwise you will be fined by the conductors on trains, buses!).
PLEASE NOTE: preparatory COURSE/EXCHANGE Students have to renew THEIR temporary student card every 60 days!
After you have received your residence permit please, visit the Central Registrar's Office ('Központi Tanulmányi Iroda' - KTI), and apply for your Hungarian medical insurance card (’TAJ’ card).
Address: Faculty of Law, Buliding Z, lower ground floor H‐7622 Pécs, 1-3. Dohány utca
Opening hours: Monday – Thursday: 9:00-15:00, Friday: 9:00-16:00
You will need to take the following documents with you:
- Valid residence permit
- Accommodation confirmation (or address card)
- Letter of Award – your Stipendium Hungaricum verification (you can download this from your Neptun account, from information/documents).
- Student status certificate in Hungarian language – from your faculty’s registrar’s office, issued not more than 30 days prior to your application!
Yes, it is necessary to open a Hungarian bank account as your SH monthly allowances can only be transferred to a Hungarian account. Your account number must be indicated in Neptun as well. We recommend OTP Bank’s branch office in Rákóczi út 1., 7621 Pécs.
Please, be advised, you will only receive your monthly allowance(s) if all of the criteria below are met:
- You have enrolled and activated your semester
- You have received your residence permit at the Immigration Office
- You have signed the Stipendium Hungaricum scholarship contract in our office before 30. September (in the fall semester) / 28. Februrary (in the spring semester).
- You have opened a Hungarian bank account
- Your letter of award is valid (issued by Tempus Public Foundation)
- You have filled in your Hungarian bank account number into Neptun
You will lose your SH scholarship in any of the following cases:
•You fail to enrol and activate your semester
•You have not acquired at least 36 credits in any last two active semesters!
•You have not signed the SH student contract in our office
•You are not living habitually in Hungary (i.e. leaving Hungary for more than 10 days without permission from the University)
•Your letter of award expires and you fail to request and receive an extension from Tempus
•Your student status is terminated by the University (please refer to the Code of Studies and Examination)
Losing your scholarship holder status does not mean the losing of your student status. You may still remain a fee-paying student of the University of Pécs without the SH Scholarship benefits. For more information, please read the Stipendium Hungaricum Operational Regulation.
If you get sick (e.g. fever, flu, diarrhea, sore throat etc.) you will need to go to the university’s general practicioner (GP) within opening hours. Always have your Hungarian health insurance card with you to access free treatment (otherwise one meeting with the doctor costs HUF 2500). If necessary, the GP may redirect you to a specialist for special treatment. Prescribed medicines can be bought at any pharmacies/drug stores with the prescription from the doctor.
General Practitioner (’Háziorvos’)
Dr. Ildikó RADVÁNYI, MD
Address: 7624 Pécs, Nyár utca 8.
Tel.: +36 72 507-520
- Monday: 8:30-16:00
- Tuesday-Thursday: 8:00-16:00
- Friday: 8:00-12:00, 13:00-15:00
If you fell sick outside the GP’s opening hours (weekdays: from 4 pm to 7.00 am; Saturdays, Sundays and on holydays: 0-24), and/or you have serious illness or an accident (and you are able to get there your self), you will need to go to the General Practitioner on duty.
Address: Janus Pannonius Clinical Bloc, Department of Emergency Medicine level, Ifjúság út 13. (entrance from Honvéd utca)
Opening hours: weekdays from 3 pm to 7 am; Saturdays, Sundays and on holydays: 0-24
With dental issues first go to Veress Endre utca 2. ('Egyesített Egészségügyi Intézmények, III.sz. Rendelőintézet') with your Hungarian buddy and find out which dental district you belong to, then visit your designated dentist. Or visit the following website (in Hungarian):
Basic treatments are for free with your ’TAJ’ card and your address card, but more complex dental treatments are to be paid by the patient.
If you are in an emergency situation call 112, the toll free general emergency number in the European Union (Ambulance, Police, Fire Department).
Pharmacies are all over the city and you can even get your prescribed medicines after opening hours (for a surcharge) at the all-night (on duty) pharmacy: SIPO Zsolnay Patika (next to Penny Market store), address: 7622 Pécs, Zsolnay Vilmos u. 8.
If you feel depressed and you feel you are unable to tackle the obstacles ahead of you, get in touch with our Student Counselling, UP’s professional, discreet and responsive psychological support for everyday life!
In order to receive dormitory placement all students must fill out the online application form of the Student Union. First year students have priority in the application process. Dormitory allocations are non-negotiable.
In case you are unable to settle a dispute with your landlord get in touch with the university’s Legal Aid Clinic program, a free service which offers help to know your way around in the labyrinth of legal issues. Contact them whenever you have housing, residence, consumer or civil law related problems.
According to Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship Operational Regulation (III.4.1.) the scholarship holder may extend the scholarship period by a total of two semesters in Hungarian bachelor’s, master’s and one-tier master’s programmes, requesting the semesters one-by-one, always at the end of the last scholarship-financed semester by the deadlines below.
Scholarships may not be renewed for doctoral, preparatory, specialization and part-time courses.
Steps of the procedure
1. A printed request signed by the student (explaining why the extension is necessary) has to be submitted to his/her Registrar’s Office AND to his/her home country's responsible authority (via e-mail).
- The list of responsible partner country authorities can be found here.
- Registrar's Offices contacts are available on every faculty's website.
- Deadline for submitting the request of extension to the Registrar's Office: 30 April for the spring semester and 30 November for the fall semester.
- Deadline for sending your request for extension to the partner country: 15 May for the spring semester and 15 December for the fall semester.
2. In case your scholarship extension is supported by the Faculty, the support statement will be forwarded DIRECTLY to Tempus Public Foundation (TPF) by the SH Office of the University of Pécs.
3. In case your scholarship extension is not supported by the Faculty, you will be informed by UP’s SH Office.
4. Your home country will send the reply about your extension request DIRECTLY to the TPF within two weeks from the extension request's submission deadline. If the partner country does not send its response to the TPF within two weeks TPF will make the scholarship extension decision on the basis of the information available.
5. Considering the information obtained from the Faculty and the partner country, TPF will make the final decision on the scholarship extension request, and inform the student, the partner country and the University (SH office) about the decision via email.
Please, note: The extension can be considered as final only if it is approved by TPF in writing. Any extension without the approval of TPF may result in the withdrawal of the scholarship!
Please note: Due to the credit minimum regulation (III.3.7, 8) the extension decision can be revised after the end of the given semester. This means that the scholarship extension decisions can be cancelled if the scholarship holder cannot obtain at least 36 credits in her/his last two active semesters (applicable to scholarship holders started their scholarship status in or after the academic year 2018/19).