Unique international opportunities with the Pannónia Scholarship Programme
The Pannónia Scholarship Programme offers both short and long-term mobility opportunities for Hungarian higher education students and staff to study, research, teach, or do traineeships abroad in almost every country.
The programme supports the internationalisation efforts of Hungarian higher education institutions as well as the implementation of high-quality mobilities, which opens up the world for students and staff, and strengthens the competitiveness of Hungarian institutions in the international higher education landscape.
The Hungarian Government’s higher education scholarship programme provides opportunities for beneficiaries (Hungarian higher education institutions) to establish meaningful international partnerships with other higher education institutions and their legal entities (training and research centres, public and private organizations, etc.) through bilateral agreements Students and staff can apply for outgoing mobilities in their own institutions. The programme is coordinated by the Tempus Public Foundation and its funding is provided by the Ministry of Culture and Innovation.
2024 marks the start of the Pannónia Scholarship Programme’s first phase, with a budget of HUF 10 billion, providing mobility opportunities for around 8,000 higher education students and staff. Around 200 students among them will have the opportunity to study at the world's top universities with the Excellence Programme.
Mobility projects for higher education students and staff
- Long-term student mobility: Study period or traineeship (2-12 months), and research (2-3 months).
- Short-term student mobility: Study period or research (2-30 days), conferences, and summer universities.
- Excellence Programme: High-achieving students in specific fields of study can do their mobility at one the top 250 universities in the world. In addition to a monthly grant, participants also receive financial support for their accommodation, travel, and tuition fees (1-6 months).
- Training period, teaching period, or research (2-60 days).
- In addition to the outgoing mobility, beneficiaries (Hungarian higher education institutions) will have the possibility to provide scholarships for short-term incoming staff mobility from foreign higher education institutions as well as training and research centres.
The scholarship amount depends on the type and destination of the mobility and may include additional allowances, such as tuition fee compensation and social grant for people with fewer opportunities.
- Long-term student mobility grants range from HUF 350,000 to 400,000 per month, depending on the destination country.
- Short-term student mobility grants range from HUF 5,000 to HUF 35,000 per day, depending on the degree level, the destination country, and the length of the mobility.
- Excellence Programme grants range from HUF 450,000 to 500,000 per month, depending on the country of destination. Scholarship holders can apply for additional allowances to cover tuition, travel, and accommodation fees.
- Staff grants range from HUF 16,500 to HUF 70,000 per day, depending on the country of destination and the length of the mobility.
What makes the Pannónia Scholarship Programme unique?
Full recognition of credits:
The programme guarantees the full recognition of credits earned abroad: every course completed during the student's study mobility must fully comply with the curricular and will be accepted by the sending institution to avoid study delays.
Diverse learning and teaching opportunities around the world:
Due to the many mobility types offered by the programme, every participant can find the one that best suits their needs. The programme supports popular short-term mobilities such as conference attendances or summer universities.
A chance to study at the world’s best institutions:
The Pannónia Scholarship Programme offers high-achieving students the opportunity to study at one of the top 250 higher education institutions (according to the Times Higher Education and Quacquarelli Symonds international higher education rankings). The Excellence Programme is open to students in specific fields of study (mainly STEM+) pursuing a masters, doctoral, or postgraduate degree.