After you successfully fulfill the entrance requirements for the chosen study program at the University of Pécs and pay the tuition fee, you receive an official notification about your admission from the program coordinator (Letter of Admission). 
Depending on your citizenship you may or may not need to apply for visa to enter Hungary. Please, select the category below which applies to your circumstances.

Information on the changes of the rules of the foreign students’ residence in Hungary effective from January 1, 2018


Citizens of EU/EEA (EEA: member states of the EU and Norway, Switzerland, Iceland, and Lichtenstein) may travel to Hungary without a long-term study visa. However they need to obtain a registration card for the duration of the studies in Hungary. For more information please visit the relevant section of ‘UPON ARRIVAL’ information



If you are a student from the non-European Economic Area (non-EEA), you need to apply for a long-term "D" type visa for study purposes at the Hungarian Consulate of your country of residence. Please note that this type of visa is a special national single entry visa that enables its holder to apply for a residence permit for study purposes after enrolling in a university in Hungary. This visa, contrary to the Schengen (tourist) visa, can only be obtained from the Hungarian consulates listed here.

If you require a visa, please ask for a visa appointment as soon as possible (right after you are notified about your acceptance), because in some cases the process can take up to three months, or even longer for visa applications with missing information.

The following documents are needed for the application for residence permit:

  1. a wholly and legibly completed, signed “residence permit” application form.
  2. valid passport (the validity of which has to exceed that of the requested visa by at least 3 months)
  3. one passport size photos (not older than 3 months)
  4. confirmation of Acceptance from the University of Pécs (Letter of Admission)
  5. visa fee: ~60 EUR
  6. declaring a real, exact address in Hungary (the document certifying accommodation in a student hostel or the tenancy contract)
  7. documents certifying subsistence in Hungary (bank account statement; or the declaration of the parents that they assume coverage of all costs of the stay in Hungary; or the document certifying the scholarship)
  8. attestation of the school that the applicant is exempt from the payment of school fees or that he/she has already paid the tuition fees.
  9. travel insurance (A travel insurance is required to cover medical expenses, trip cancellation, lost luggage, flight accidents and other losses incurred while traveling; it can usually be arranged at the time of the booking of a trip and should be valid until the beginning of the study program) or equal financial means

After you arrive in Pécs, you can arrange your registration card (EEA) or residence permit (non-EEA) at the Immigration and Asylum Office (in Hungarian: Bevándorlási és Menekültügyi Hivatal, abbreviated as BMH).


Address of the Directorate-General for Alien Policing - Regional Directorate of Southern Transdanubia:

H-7623 Pécs, Csend u. 3.

Opening Hours:

Monday: 8.30-11.30 and 14.00-17.30 
Tuesday: 13.00-16.00
Wednesday: closed
Thursday: 8.30-11.30 and 13.00-16.00
Friday: 8.30-11.30 


For further information on the openings of the Hungarian Consulates in 2023, please click HERE.