MA in English Studies
- Program overview
- Description of the program
- Application procedure
- Application requirements
- Examples of subjects during the studies
- More information
Master of Arts in English Studies
2 years (4 semesters)
Next starting date
Tuition fee: EUR 2,500/sem.
Application fee: EUR 140
Registration fee: -
The goal of the degree program is to train experts in the field of English Studies who have sound theoretical, methodological and practical knowledge of the English language and can apply such knowledge in practice. They have thorough knowledge and understanding of the literature, culture and the social and political systems of English-speaking countries, including Great Britain, Ireland and Canada, the major trends and research fields of modern theoretical and applied linguistics and their results that mainly apply to the English language. They can apply the acquired knowledge in the business sector, the media, education, diplomacy, at institutions engaged in international relations, in tourism, the publishing sector, tender agencies, local, regional and national government offices and, in general, in the cultural public sphere. They are prepared to pursue studies in doctoral degree programs.
The program is offered to full-time students as well as in the form of a correspondence program. The range of subjects taught in courses of two academic-hour-long sessions (lectures, seminars and consultations) per week is grouped as follows:
(a) Introductory courses in English linguistics, English history, literature and culture
(b) Two paths students choose from:
- specialization in English literature
- specialization in English applied linguistics
The graduates of the MA degree program have a thorough knowledge of:
- the body of knowledge pertaining to English-speaking cultures (e.g. language, linguistics, literature, history).
The graduates of the MA degree program are qualified for:
- carrying out tasks and filling positions that require special expertise and education; conceptual and abstract thinking; and practical skills in the field of English Studies,
- pursuing their profession in theory and practice in an interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary manner,
- independent research,
- carrying out independent scholarly work and publishing original studies on the culture, history and literature of English-speaking nations and the English language,
- mediating between English-speaking and Hungarian-speaking cultures at a high level in cultural, economic, political, etc. areas,
- transmitting knowledge pertaining to the English language, English-speaking cultures and societies.
Personal abilities and skills required for the practice of the qualification:
- high level of professional motivation and commitment,
- highly developed ability to analyse,
- ability to explore similarities and differences between different cultures,
- intercultural attitude,
- high level of proficiency in English and good communication skills,
- good presentation abilities.
For a successful application please follow the steps below:
- To apply, click on the Apply Now button, and start your application.
- Register on our application site, fill the application form, upload the necessary documents and submit your application!
- After you have submitted your application, you are going to receive information on the further steps.
- If we received your application fee, we are going to start the evaluation of your application.
- Please, talk about your previous studies in English Literature.
- What was your BA thesis about?
- What is your favourite field/author in English Literature or Culture?
The applicant has to submit the following documents by uploading them to the online application portal of the University of Pécs:
- Certified and translated (if originals are not in English) copy of BA diploma in English Studies (major or minor) - with transcript of records
- Certified and translated (if originals are not in English) copy of school transcripts showing satisfactory completion of senior high school.
- Europass CV in English
- Motivation letter (introduction plus field of interest, etc.) in 3000 to 3500 characters.
- Copy of valid passport or national ID
- Medical certificate, (please fill the document and attach the serologic test results)
- vaccination card (showing that you are immunized against HEP B)
- HEP A/B/C test*
- HIV test*
- Chest X-ray: Please attach the chest’s X-ray result (not the film!) in English/Hungarian! (not older than 3 months)
- Transfer receipt of the EUR 140 application fee
- Official copy of the following language exam certificates:
- Entrance Exam (personally or via Skype)
*Please note: tests have to be taken within a year!
For more information, please contact:
Ms. Éva KOVÁCS-SAMU
Phone: +36 72 501 500/24126
University of Pécs, Faculty of Humanities
H- 7624 Pécs, Ifjúság u. 6., Hungary
Dr. Gabriella HARTVIG
Institute of English Studies
Phone: + 36 72 503 600 /24672