BA in Hungarian Literature and Linguistics
- Program overview
- Description of the program
- Application procedure
- Application requirements
- Examples of subjects during the studies
- More information
Bachelor of Arts in Hungarian
3 years (6 semesters)
Next starting date
Tuition fee: EUR 2,100/sem.
Application fee: EUR 140
The BA in Hungarian literature and linguistics program is designed to train experts in Hungarian language, literature and culture. The graduates will be equipped with both the academic knowledge and the relevant language and practical skills to analyse literary texts, linguistic and cultural phenomena in their wider intellectual, intercultural and historical contexts.
Studying Hungarian language and literature at the University of Pécs entails the development and sophistication of students language and reading skills, as well as their ability to place and interpret linguistic questions and literary texts in their wider intellectual, cultural and historical contexts.
The program also requires the students to consider the methodology by which they analyze the linguistic, literary and cultural phenomena, to learn about contemporary Hungarian language use and literary forms and techniques, and to make comparative analyzes.
You will learn about the history of the Hungarian language, literature and culture since the beginnings up until the 21th century. The program offers also a great number of courses in comparative literary and cultural studies. The program allows for a considerable degree of choice that students can make about the topics they would like to concentrate on.
You can choose after completing the foundation courses one from the following specializations:
- Literary Criticism
- Language and Culture
- Hungarian as a Foreign Language
You will be assisted in building key competences such as critical thinking, academic writing and reading, intercultural transfer and translation, comparative analysis, professional cooperation, assertive communication, openness to other people and other cultures, deep respect for professional and human dignity as well as for religious, ideological and cultural diversity.
You will experience different teaching, learning and assessment methods including lectures, pro-seminars, seminars, master-seminars, individual tuition. Our teaching model, the so colled „Pécs-model”, is based on tutoring and mentoring of small research groups working on different scientific projectes and doing social and cultural activities. We practice a student-centered teaching-model which foster the respectful, attentive and emphatic communication and can improve reasoning and collaboration skills, as well as adaptability, creativity and performativity.
You will be offered a training in academic Hungarian language and writing in order to activate and extend your linguistic competences and to increase your confidence in using written and spoken Hungarian in professional discussions. The courses of this training are designed to improve your academic vocabulary, as well as your speaking, reading and writing skills.
You will be equipped with both the academic knowledge and the relevant language and practical skills to build up a career as an expert in Hungarian language, literature and culture.
You will be able to interpret literary texts, linguistic and cultural phenomena to make comparative analyses, to translate different types of texts, to contribute to interlingual and intercultural communication.
You will be qualified to continue your studies at Master level (MA).
The Institute for Hungarian Studies, University of Pécs, Faculty of Humanities can offer you three MA-programs:
Hungarology (2 years, 4 semesters)
Applied Linguistics (2 years, 4 semesters)
Literary and Cultural Studies (2 years, 4 semesters)
After Master level (MA) you can continue your studies at Doctoral level (PhD).
The Institute for Hungarian Studies, University of Pécs, Faculty of Humanities can offer you two Doctoral Schools (PhD):
Linguistics (2 years+2 years)
Literary Studies (2 years+2 years)
NUMBER OF CREDITS REQUIRED FOR BA: 180 credits
Major areas of expertise:
- Foundation Courses: 12 credits
- Basic Linguistics: 12 credits
- Hungarian Descriptive Grammar: 18 credits
- The History of Hungarian Literature: 26 credits
- Word Literature, Comparative Studies: 16 credits
- The Hungarian Language - usage, variation, history, genetic relations: 18 credits
- Literary Theory and Interpretation: 14 credits
- Final work: 4 credits
- Specializations: 50 credits (the students can choose one of three specializations):
Language and Culture
Hungarian as a Foreign Language
- Optional BA courses: 10 credits Optional courses in Hungarian Studies: the students can choose from a wide range of courses offered as Campus credit courses by the different departments of the Faculty of Humanities: e.g. cultural anthropology, history, literature
Skype interview for BA in Hungarian
The interview takes around 10-15 minutes. During this interview our colleagues are going to ask questions about your motivation and interests. The main goal of this discussion is to learn more about your language knowledge, personal skills and scientific interest – to be able to make the right decision to help our multicultural and open-minded community and academic integrity.
For a successful application please follow the steps below:
- To apply, click on the Apply Now button, and start your application.
- Register on our application site, fill the application form, upload the necessary documents and submit your application!
- After you have submitted your application, you are going to receive information on the further steps.
- If we received your application fee, we are going to start the evaluation of your application.
The applicant has to submit the following documents by uploading them to the online application portal of the University of Pécs:
- Certified and translated (if originals are not in English) copy of school transcripts showing satisfactory completion of senior high school.
- Europass CV in English
- Motivation letter (introduction plus field of interest, etc.) in 3000 to 3500 characters.
- Copy of valid passport or national ID
- Medical certificate, (please fill the document and attach the serologic test results)
- vaccination card (showing that you are immunized against HEP B)
- HEP A/B/C test*
- HIV test*
- Chest X-ray: Please attach the chest’s X-ray result (not the film!) in English/Hungarian! (not older than 3 months)
- Transfer receipt of the EUR 140 application fee
- Official copy of the following language exam certificates:
- B2 Hungarian language exam
- ECL Hungarian language exam: https://eclexam.eu/
- You do not have to submit an official B2 level language exam certificate if the following criterion applies to you: you have already completed at least one year of undergraduate studies in Hungarian, which you can prove by an official credit certificate.
- Entrance Exam (personally or via Skype)
*Please note: tests have to be taken within a year!
After the 3rd semester, you have to choose a specialisation.
Specialisations: 50 credits (the students can choose one from three specialisations)
1. Language and culture specialisation
2. Hungarian as a Foreign Language specialisation
3. Literary Studies specialisation
Ms. Éva KOVÁCS-SAMU and Ms. Vanda BŐCZIN-SIRKECI
Phone: +36 72 501 500/24126