The Program comprises two phases, the first of which consisting of three modules: core curriculum courses in the fields of literary theory, cultural studies and literary history stretching over the first three semesters; teaching, tutoring, mentoring and other department-related activities (second and third semesters); individual research for the thesis (continuous) and revision for the final exam (fourth semester). Having earned the required credits and passed the final exam, students enter the second phase, wherein they are required to finish their theses with the help of their supervisors, and submit it in two years after their final exam. The program is thus divided into two years of course-
work and two years of research and writing, with tutors helping candidates all along on their way towards receiving their PhDs. As the faculty have different areas of expertise, we support individual research with a variety of focus in the fields of British, Irish and American literatures in English. In order to find out about what we teach and do research in, please check our webpage at the University of Pécs.
For a successful application please follow the steps below:
Skype interview for applicants:
The interview takes about 15-20 minutes. During the interview, applicants are asked to talk about their previous research and their current plan and interests. The main goal of the online meeting is for the applicants to demonstrate their proficiency in English, to showcase their ability to conduct research as well as to share their scientific interest with the interviewers so they become able to make an informed decision about the acceptance to our multicultural and open-minded academic community.
• Postgraduate diploma (or higher) (MA or MSc in a relevant field)
The entry qualification documents are accepted in the following languages: English.
Often you can get a suitable transcript from your school. If this is not the case, you will need official translations along with verified copies of the original.
Applicants who are still conducting their studies at the time of application must submit an official letter from their institution indicating the date of graduation. Students cannot enroll at the Program until they have successfully completed their studies at the Master's level.
• Duolingo online exam from score 135
• IELTS Indicator from score 7
• Official copy of the following language exam certificates:
• TOEFL (iBT internet-based): 83 points (www.ets.org/toefl)
• TOEFL CBT: 220 (www.ets.org/toefl)
• ECL: C1 level (http://www.ecl-test.com/)
or a written document certifying an advanced command of English
Your application file should contain:
• Preliminary Research Proposal*
• Curriculum Vitae in English
• Completed Application Form (available on the website)
• Official Copies of (Degree) Certificates
• Certified Translations in English
• Transcript of Records in English
• List of Publications (if any)
Preliminary Research Proposal*
A 3000-3500 characters long written statement of the research design that includes an explanation of the purpose of the study and outlines the research methodology.
It should consist of the following parts:
• The intended title of the dissertation
• The aim of the underlying research as well as the clearly stated motivation for the research
• Literature review, i.e. review of the state of the art in the literature
• List of references
If you have any questions about the program, please contact:
László B. Sári
Head of the program
Phone: 00 36 30 364 0841 (Roberta Nagy)