One of the main strategic goals of the University of Pécs is to create and invigorate a truly international university. We continuously strive to facilitate high-value opportunities for lecturers and students to conduct research and obtain higher education experiences in international environments all over the world. Our objective is to expand student and staff mobility, develop and enhance international teaching and research partnerships.
We are also committed to providing an international environment within the university by enrolling an increasing number of international students and inviting international lecturers who help co-create partnerships without borders.
With its ten Faculties the University of Pécs plays a significant role in Hungarian Higher Education and has an international reputation for the quality of its research and teaching. The University offers a wide range of degree programs in the framework of international education and training, ensuring high-level knowledge-transfer and research. With 23,000 students and nearly 2,000 teaching and research staff, the impact of the University extends well beyond the borders of the city.
The University of Pécs has been offering full study programs taught in English for 30 years and in German for 10 years. Year by year an increasing number of international students and researchers come from over 80 countries to the University to study and conduct research. Each year more than 2,500 international students choose to study at the University. A great number of partnerships have been maintained through inter-university agreements and various international and regional university networks.
International programs have been steadily increasing over the years at the University of Pécs. At present the University offers 55 different degree programs and preparatory courses mainly taught in English or in German. International students can pursue their studies at the Bachelor’s level (BA, BSc), the Master’s level (MA, MSc) and the Doctoral level (PhD, DLA). Having a good proportion of international students on our campuses offers the local students the opportunity to open up to the world. In partnership with 50 institutions worldwide, the University also participates in exchange and mobility schemes that offer students and teachers a challenging and exciting international experience, providing them with new perspectives and an understanding of different cultures.
Activities of the Centre for International Relations
The University of Pécs comprises ten Faculties, and international relations are handled at both University and Faculty level. The CIR - Centre for International Relations - acts as an umbrella organisation: it represents the University of Pécs abroad and co-ordinates overall international relations and interaction with our various international partners. The CIR also supports the internationalisation efforts of our individual Faculties and works closely with the faculty international co-ordinators. The CIR is active in the following major areas:
- Inter-university agreements
- These agreements apply to both student and staff mobility and to other forms of collaboration. Given appropriate mutual interest, we are happy to expand our inter-university network and collaborate with other prestigious universities worldwide. List of inter-university agreements.
- Recruiting for international degree programmes
- The CIR actively supports the faculties in their efforts to recruit for their various international degree programmes. The CIR undertakes market research, keeps contact with recruitment agencies and is responsible for marketing communication related to student recruitment at university level. The CIR recognises the importance of developing services for international students.
- More information about the international degree programmes can be found here.
- Mobility programmes
- The university actively participates in various mobility programmes such as Erasmus+, Campus Mundy, CEEPUS, and Erasmus Credit Mobility. Institutional coordination of these programmes are handled by the CIR.
- Scholarship Counselling
- We pay special attention to informing both students and members of our teaching and administrative staff about the available scholarship opportunities abroad.
- Participation in international organizations
- International university networks and organisations play a key role in the exchange of ‘Best Practice’ and the creation of new partnerships. The university, therefore, is active in a number of major international organisations. In the past the University has hosted annual conferences of the Alps-Adriatic Rectors’ Conference, the Danube Rectors’ Conference, the Compostela Group, the University Network of European Capitals of Culture and AUDEM (the Alliance of Universities for Democracy).