PhD in Business Administration
- Program overview
- Description of the program
- Application procedure
- Application requirements
- More information
PhD in Business Administration
4 semester educational period + the research period
Next starting date
Tuition fee: The EUR 12,500 tuition fee has to be paid in four installments during the course of study
Application fee: -
Registration fee: -
The International PhD Programme is aimed at professionals in business or public administration with several years of experience in their field, but not necessarily in research or education. The programme combines the advantages of contact-based and distance-based education, drawing on the contribution of recognized national and international experts. In its design, the programme combines two major international traditions in doctoral education such as the American tradition (where several years of formal education is needed to get the PhD) and the European tradition (with a usually limited number of classes and a strong emphasis on independent dissertation research).
The programme consists of two (preferably overlapping) parts:
- the period of organized study (4 semesters) and
- independent research phase
The study period provides the students with the opportunity to divide their studies into two parts: intensive study period spent at the Faculty of Business and Economics (FBE), UP and extensive home study. This approach combines the advantages of the contact-based and distance-based methods.
In each of the four semesters, students spend approximately 10 days on the premises of the FBE UP and follow lectures, attend seminars, have dissertation consultations with their dissertation advisors and may also do research in the Faculty Library.
Individual work is supported by the guidance of an experienced Faculty consultant (dissertation advisor). At the end of the sessions, students return home and continue their studies and research using the written study materials (books and scientific papers) provided or recommended by the instructors/dissertation advisor. Lecture materials are available on the Faculty and/or Programme Intranet that students can access from home.
Instructors of the various modules and dissertation advisors are available via electronic mail, should the students need advise or help during the home study period.
Should the students need advice or help during the home study period, instructors of the various modules and dissertation advisors are available via electronic mail. Evaluation is based on class papers (homework assignments or in-class exams) in each module; topics are designated by the individual instructors.
In order to receive the PhD degree, students must accomplish the following: receive grades in all modules, pass the Doctoral Examination (Comprehensive Exam); have at least 30+ credits of publication that cover the area of dissertation research; prepare the PhD Dissertation; defend the PhD Dissertation.
For a successful application please follow the steps below:
- To apply, click on the Apply Now button, and start your application.
- Register on our application site, fill the application form, upload the necessary documents and submit your application!
- After you have submitted your application, you are going to receive information on the further steps.
- If we received your application fee, we are going to start the evaluation of your application.
In order to be considered for the programme, the Applicant must hold a master degree (MA or MSc in a relevant field or MBA). Prospective students who do not possess a master degree in Economics are required to complement their studies with a Master of Business Administration degree at an accredited institution.
Applicants who are still conducting their studies at the time of application must submit an official letter from their institution indicating the date of graduation. Students cannot enroll at the Programme until they have successfully completed their studies at the Master's level.
Your application file should contain:
- Preliminary Research Proposal (2-3 pages long)*
- Curriculum Vitae in English
- Completed Application Form (available on the website)
- Official Copies of (Degree) Certificates
- Certified Translations in English
- Transcript of Records in English
- List of Publications (if any)
- 4 passport-size photographs.
Preliminary Research Proposal*
A 2-3 page written statement of the research design that includes an explanation of the purpose of the study and outlines the research methodology.
It should consist of the following parts:
- The intended title of the dissertation
- The aim of the underlying research as well as the clearly stated motivation for the research
- Literature review, i.e. review of the state of the art in the literature
- List of references