PhD in Regional Development
- Program overview
- Description of the program
- Application procedure
- More information
PhD in Regional Development
4 semester educational period + the research period
Next starting date
Tuition fee: The tuition fee for the Program is EUR 12,500 - to be paid in installments in the following schedule: 1st semester: EUR 4,000 2nd semester: EUR 3,000 3rd semester: EUR 2,000 Doctoral examination: EUR 500 Doctoral procedure: EUR 3,000
Application fee: -
Registration fee: -
The PhD Programme in Regional Development is for professionals who have collected several years of experience in their field, working at national, regional and local levels of decision making or at think-tank organizations. The programme is designed to help students acquire the skills and knowledge necessary for writing good quality doctoral dissertations. It supports independent research by providing experienced faculty supervisors and professional feedback at dissertation seminars.
The duration of the program is four years: two years intensive studying and attending classes, and two years research. Classes are held in the first two years on a semester basis with two weeks’ intensive teaching period in each semester. After these two weeks, students have to work on the assignments to satisfy the requirements of the courses. Following the first two-year study period students can start their research after successfully passing a complex exam. This way the program combines the advantages of face-to-face education and distance learning. There are already successful PhD students with Stipendium Hungaricum scholarship who obtained the certificate.
The International PhD Program in Regional Development combines the advantages of contact-based and distance-based education drawing on the contribution of its recognized national and international faculty. The educational period consists of four semesters. During this period students should spend in each semester approximately 5 days on campus to attend and prepare for classes, consult with their research supervisors and continue their research.
The applicant has to submit the following documents by uploading them to the online application portal of the University of Pécs:
- Preliminary Research Proposal (2-3 pages long)*
- Curriculum Vitae in English
- Completed Application Form (available on the website)
- Official Copies of (Degree) Certificates
- Certified Translations in English
- Transcript of Records in English
- List of Publications (if any)
- passport-size photographs.
- Copy of the photo-page(s) of your passport
- Medical certificate, Vaccination card and HIV test
- Motivation letter
Preliminary Research Proposal*
A 2-3 page written statement of the research design that includes an explanation of the purpose of the study and outlines the research methodology.
It should consist of the following parts:
- The intended title of the dissertation
- The aim of the underlying research as well as the clearly stated motivation for the research
- Literature review, i.e. review of the state of the art in the literature
- List of references