PhD in Earth Sciences
- Program overview
- Description of the program
- Application procedure
- Application requirements
- More information
Doctor of Philosophy in the field of Earth Sciences
4 years (8 semesters)
Next starting date
Tuition fee: EUR 3,000/sem.
Application fee: EUR 140
Registration fee: -
The Doctoral School of Earth Sciences offers a four-year training and research program in various fields of geography, geology and meteorology. Students can choose from a wide selection of research topics from the three subprograms of Physical geography, geology and meteorology; Human geography; Geopolitics, Geo-economics and political geography. Outstanding students can obtain a PhD degree after completing their studies and research activities. The program began in 1994 and since then more than 100 researchers have received their PhD degree and joined the alumni network of the Doctoral School.
There are several fields of teaching and research focusing on certain disciplines. The selection of research topics, training plans as well as fundamental and applied research is related to the following thematic groups and their leaders:
- Cultural geography: Dr. András Trócsányi
- Geology: Professor Tamás Budai
- Geography of tourism: Dr. András Trócsányi
- Geomorphology: Professor Ferenc Schweitzer
- Historical and political geography: Professor Zoltán Dövényi
- Meteorology and climate change: Professor István Geresdi
- Physical geography, landscape evaluation: Dr. Dénes Lóczy
- Population and settlement geography: Professor Zoltán Dövényi
- Regional geography: Professor István Szilágyi
- Regional and settlement development: Professor István Szilágyi
In the regular courses about six Hungarian and a limited number of foreign citizens can be accepted. Since the accreditation of the Doctoral School more than 50 full-time students and more than 300 part-time (correspondent) students have participated in the training. In the past fifteen years more than 100 students have received PhD degrees.
Graduation requirements: Students must receive grades in all modules, have six publications (at least two international) that cover the area of dissertation, pass the Doctoral Examination, prepare the PhD Dissertation and defend it.
For a successful application please follow the steps below:
- To apply, click on the Apply Now button, and start your application.
- Register on our application site, fill the application form, upload the necessary documents and submit your application!
- After you have submitted your application, you are going to receive information on the further steps.
- If we received your application fee, we are going to start the evaluation of your application.
The applicant must hold a Master's degree (MSc) in a relevant field and has to take an oral interview.
Your application file should contain:
- Application form
- One passport size photo
- Copy of passport with personal data
- Copy of University / College degree (in English or with official translation; the original hard copy must be shown after arrival)
- Transcript of previous studies
- Two letters of recommendation
- List of publications, if available
- Research plan (1-3 pages)
- Copy of language exam certificate
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) in English
- Motivational letter
- Voucher of payment for the application fee
Applicants must meet the minimum language requirements to be able to start their studies in the Faculty of Sciences, University of Pécs. B2 level is a minimum requirement, which is equivalent to an intermediate command of English. (e.g.ELTS minimum 5.5; or TOEFL minimum 66 score).
Applicants who do not meet the minimum language requirements have to start their studies with an English Language Preparatory Program.