PhD in Physics
- Program overview
- Description of the program
- Application procedure
- Application requirements
- More information
Doctor of Philosophy in the field of Physics
4 years (8 semesters)
Next starting date
Tuition fee: EUR 3,000/sem.
Application fee: EUR 140
Registration fee: -
The Doctoral School of Physics covers the fields that are the subjects of research in the Institute of Physics; namely, laser physics, including THz and X-ray laser research, nonlinear optics, generation of ultrashort laser pulses, laser based acceleration of particles, quantum informatics, theoretical atomic and molecular physics. World-leading research on high-energy THz pulses and their applications has a strong tradition at the Institute. There is a close collaboration between the doctoral school and three institutes of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences: both the Institute for Solid State Physics and the Institute for Particle and Nuclear Physics of the Wigner Research Center, and the Institute for Technical Physics and Material Science, further the Extreme Light Infrastructure (ELI-ALPS) institute in Szeged, as well as several international scientific collaborators and local industrial partners.
Students will be able to synthesize theoretical and empirical studies, conduct their own research, and present them both orally and in written form.
The PhD School has four programmes:
- Quantum Optics
- Nonlinear Optics
- Laser physics, Industrial Laser Applications
- Nuclear and Particle Physics
For a successful application please follow the steps below:
- To apply, click on the Apply Now button, and start your application.
- Register on our application site, fill the application form, upload the necessary documents and submit your application!
- After you have submitted your application, you are going to receive information on the further steps.
- If we received your application fee, we are going to start the evaluation of your application.
The applicant must hold a Master's degree (MSc) in a relevant field and has to take an oral interview.
Your application file should contain:
- Application form
- One passport size photo
- Copy of passport with personal data
- Copy of University / College degree (in English or with official translation; the original hard copy must be shown after arrival)
- Transcript of previous studies
- Two letters of recommendation
- List of publications, if available
- Research plan (1-3 pages)
- Copy of language exam certificate
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) in English
- Motivational letter
- Voucher of payment for the application fee
Applicants must meet the minimum language requirements to be able to start their studies in the Faculty of Sciences, University of Pécs. B2 level is a minimum requirement, which is equivalent to an intermediate command of English. (e.g.ELTS minimum 5.5; or TOEFL minimum 66 score).
Applicants who do not meet the minimum language requirements have to start their studies with an English Language Preparatory Program.