Short stay: no longer than 90 days. (E.g. in the case of summer and winter schools.)
1. VISA FREE entry:
Citizens of the EU/ EEA member states and of the following countries may travel to Hungary without a visa:
Andorra, Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, Guatemala, Holy See, Honduras, Hong Kong (the exemption applies only to holders of a "Hong Kong Special Administrative Region"), Iceland, Israel, Japan, Macao (the exemption applies only to holders of a "Regio Administrativa Especial de Macau" passport), Malaysia, Mexico, Monaco, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Norway, Panama, Paraguay, Salvador, San Marino, Singapore, South Korea, Switzerland, United States of America, Uruguay, Venezuela.
2. Entry conditions for foreigners under VISA OBLIGATION for up to 90 days
- Basic rules for the issuance of Schengen visas
Short stay visa (C): authorizes the bearer to a single, double or multiple entries and, in case of an uninterrupted stay, to a stay of maximum 90 days, while in case of an interrupted stay, to a stay of altogether maximum 90 days within the 6 months counted from the date of the first entry.
- Which of the Hungarian consulates is responsible for issuing a visa?
Once it has been established that a Hungarian consulate is responsible for issuing a Schengen visa, it has to be chosen which one of them. The general rule is that an application can be handed in to the consulate which is in the country
- Where the applicant has a habitual residence
- Whose citizen the applicant is
If there is no Hungarian consulate in the country where the applicant has his/her habitual residence the visa application can be handed in at any Hungarian consulate.
- The documents needed for visa applications
- a valid passport the validity of which has to exceed that of the requested visa by at least 3 months;
- 1 passport-size colour photo (not older than 6 months);
- a wholly and legibly completed, signed application form:
- The application form may be acquired free of charge at the consulates or downloaded from the website of the Hungarian Ministry of Foreign Affairs (http://konzuliszolgalat.kormany.hu/visa-application-forms). Schengen application forms are uniform; therefore any application form used by any of the Schengen Member States can be used for applying at Hungarian consulates.
- a travel medical insurance (a travel insurance providing cover for at least 30.000 € for financing urgent health services and homeward transportation due to medical reasons, valid for the whole period of stay and for the territory of every Schengen State);
- a certificate proving lawful stay, if the applicant is not a citizen of the country where he hands in his application.
- Besides meeting the above general requirements, the applicant shall also supply a certificate of the financial coverage of his/her expenses, and a certificate of the purpose of the visit.
- The purpose of the entry can be certified with the following documents: In the case of an entry with an educational purpose: the certificate of the receiving institution, the certificate of the envisaged place of accommodation in Hungary.
- Visa fees:
- application for short term visa (C) : EUR 60
- General exemptions from visa fees: students travelling for educational purposes: free of charge!